after a couple of hours cursing Migrate this morning, i found an error in my code and the output from toMigrate.py now runs perfectly. (i was shocked when the root of my frustration was entirely my fault. shocked, i say! just kidding.)
that means that the scripts to database/retrieve data and convert .fasta files to the three desired formats are done. (tentatively done.) i've spent this afternoon reading Programming Python's chapters on Tkinter (their GUI-er) and copying the short scripts. this i'll probably do tomorrow as well, on top of making several new test datasets to error check my scripts. i also need to investigate Galaxy.